Fortunately we don’t move home every few months, and for many of us, we may only move two or three times in our life. As a consequence, moving home can be extremely traumatic, yet a few useful tips and tricks can make the move so much easier. It is fair to say that an international move is totally different to a local or long-distance move in your current country of residence, so for now we will just concentrate on local and national house removals.
The following is a list of thing to help give you a start on what you can do to prepare for moving day itself:
- Pets can pick up on the disturbance on their home – have them stay with friends if possible for a few days before and after you have moved to save them the upset
- Get your administration tasks sorted. Banks, insurance companies, gas, electric, water companies all need to know when you are leaving and where you are going
- Sort out about a doctor, dentist and other healthcare needs at the other end before you move – you never know when you may need help
- Moving home is a good time to declutter – be brutal and give away what you really don’t need, and don’t keep anything that would otherwise be classed as rubbish
- When packing, label boxes clearly as to what is inside and which room they should be put in at the other end
- When packing, pack an ‘emergency box’ which will contain everything you will need as soon as you are at your new home. This will include basic items such as toilet roll, tea, coffee, sugar, long-life milk, water biscuits, snack food, soap, hand towels, etc. Pack this box past
- Pack last what you will need first at the other end.
- If you have the time and energy, try and give your home a quick clean through – it is a thoughtful gesture for the new occupants
- Arrange for cleaners to go through your new home before you arrive with all your goods. It is the one time you will get to have an empty house to clean from head to foot. It is worth paying that little extra to be able to move into a spotless home.
The more organised you are for your move, the less stressful it will be and the more memorable it will be for all the right treasons.