I’m moving – what does this mean for my energy contract?

When you move house, you have to arrange a lot of things, including a new contract with an energy supplier. Which steps to take depends on your current situation:

You’re moving and you were previously living independently, i. e. the energy contract existed in your name

In this case, it’s important to ring your energy supplier at least 48 hours before your move and inform them of the date of your move and your new address. That way, they can send you a final bill and also either organise a meter reading or ask you to carry out a meter reading on moving day. In this way, you avoid being overcharged by the energy company. If you are renting, you should also confirm the meter readings with your landlord or agency.

You’re moving, and you were previously living with parents, relatives, housemates…

You do not need to cancel a previous energy contract, as this will stay with the house you are leaving behind.

In either scenario:

Upon moving into a new property you’ll automatically be placed on a ‘deemed contract’ with the energy company that has been supplying the property up until your move-in date.

You will need to take gas and electricity meter readings in your new property and give these to the existing gas and electricity supplier of the property.

To find out who supplies the gas to your new home, phone the meter number helpline on 0870 608 1524.

To find out who supplies the electricity to your new property, contact the local electricity distribution company. Its telephone number will be in the telephone directory under ‘Electricity’. You should ask for the company’s meter point administration service (MPAS).

This may also be a good time to consider switching to a different energy company, if they can provide you with a better deal for gas and electricity. If you’ve moved into a rented property, it is important, however, to check the terms of your lease or speak to your landlord to see if you’re allowed to change energy suppliers.